Erik and Laura-Marie Magazine: breakfast #38

Erik and Laura-Marie Magazine

free perzine, made of paper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Zine maker, writer, activist. I like listening to good listeners. Email me at robotmad (gmail).

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

breakfast #38

When Erik was a little boy, his dad would make him breakfast on the weekend. He loved French toast and bacon.

More common school-day breakfasts were peanut butter toast or grilled cheese sandwiches, sometimes with fried ham on the side. “Never ham inside the sandwich?” I asked. “No, on the side,” he said.

When I was a little girl, I loved eggs as I do now. I had a lot of over-easy eggs with buttered toast. Sometimes my mom would cut the toast into slices, which somehow changed the experience of dipping the toast into the runny yolk.

I also liked eggs in toast, which goes by many names the western world over, which is where you cut circles out of the bread and crack the eggs into the holes, the yolk going into the hole. It has a different flavor.

And I had eggs on toast too. Getting a dribble of yolk on my shirt was a common error, and I would change my shirt right before getting in the car with my backpack.

I loved French toast and pancakes too, but those were more for weekends. And we had fry-ups after holidays. I remember my dad in particular frying lunchmeat for me, which I later did for myself, as a side dish to eggs: salami, bologna, turkey meat. I never cared much for ham.

I have a curiosity about what people eat for breakfast. It’s the question I ask my penpals right away. It’s an intimate meal, usually eaten in the home. It’s an honest meal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've reviewed #38 in my blog :)

July 12, 2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger wen said...

nice post, i enjoyed it. :)

my breakfast is usually a power bar eaten at work. on weekends it's eggs or an egg mit (egg on a bagel) with oj and decaf coffee..sometimes there's fakin' bacon or hash browns or other delightful side dishes...yum.

July 26, 2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home