Erik and Laura-Marie Magazine: why I don't like movies #6

Erik and Laura-Marie Magazine

free perzine, made of paper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Zine maker, writer, activist. I like listening to good listeners. Email me at robotmad (gmail).

Saturday, April 22, 2006

why I don't like movies #6


Some people want to know why I don’t like movies, and it’s hard to explain on the spot. My students bring up movies often in class, to illustrate an idea or make a point. People use movies to explain things to themselves and one another. How many times have you heard someone say, “This is just like in that movie such-and-such when so-and-so says this-or-that and then blank happens.” Well, I usually can’t participate because I never saw the movie you’re talking about.

I don’t like movies because they’re mostly all the same. Also, they’re too long. I’m not a frenetic person, but about 20 minutes into most movies, I feel the need to get up and do something. I usually don’t like the characters. Violence makes me feel sick, and watching people have sex seems voyeuristic and inappropriate.

Most movies bore me. They’re too serious, misogynist, or stylized. The actors don’t look like me or anyone I know. Also, movies are over-stimulating. I can’t handle pictures, sound, people, music, and explosions all at the same time. I would need to take each of those one by one.

Maybe there are some movies I would like, but I don’t seek them out because I’m busy doing the things I already like to do. The movies that are smart and challenging usually make me feel depressed, and the rest of movies are so banal and unintelligent that I just want to get up and leave. I can’t stand the formulaic way the lead woman and man have to end up sleeping together.

I haven’t been to a movie theater in about three years (although I love the popcorn). Movie rental places like Blockbuster or even small, independent ones usually make me feel like I’m going to pass out. They play loud music, have five or six TVs showing movies, parts of movies, or commercials, and have bright colors everywhere: movie posters, yellow painted walls, red carpet.

Sometimes I think movies are the excitement in people’s lives when they should be living the excitement themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home